RE: A "new" theory on Oviraptor philoceratops (I think)

From: "Tommy Bradley" <htomsirveaux@hotmail.com>

Now, I'm sure I'm not the first person to speculate that these boney projection may have been used for cracking open mollusk shells. But, by any chance, could they have been used for cracking open...and I know this is where I'm going to lose a few people, but...Egg shells?

Believe it or not, this was among the first ideas proposed for the use of the 'palatal teeth' (not sure of the correct term to use, here). Not sure, either, where the idea of egg-eating was first proposed. Might've been in with its original description (which I've got, though not in English)...

Is it possible the the famed specimen originally considered predating on a nest of _Protoceratops_ eggs, later debunked when it was revealed that the nest contained _Oviraptor_eggs, actually WAS predating on ANOTHER _Oviraptor_ nest?

Could be. Though the manner in which the specimen is splayed out over the eggs, much like that of a nesting parent bird, sort of contradicts this.

So basically, what I'm getting at is: is it possible that the currently dubious name _Oviraptor_, might have been right all along?

Sure. I don't think anyone really doubts whether Oviraptor ate eggs at least from time to time. In fact, this is an idea Jaime Headden tried to reintroduce in an SVP abstract of his a couple of years ago.

Please keep in mind, this is not the Scientific theory of a fully accredited Doctor of Vertebrate Paleontology, but rather the inane ramblings of an amateur Dinosaur enthusiast, so please be gentle with your critiques.

Seems you don't think much unlike that of the professionals, Tommy. :)

Jordan Mallon

Vertebrate Paleontology & Paleoecology

AIM: jslice mallon

The new MSN 8: smart spam protection and 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/bcomm&pgmarket=en-ca&RU=http%3a%2f%2fjoin.msn.com%2f%3fpage%3dmisc%2fspecialoffers%26pgmarket%3den-ca