Re: first dinosaur

Phil Hore wrote-

> I have been reading a new book called Dinosaurus by Steve Parker that
mentions Eoraptor as a mid-triassic > dinosaur. Everything I have read says
that there have been no dino remains found before late Triassic
> times. Has there been a new discovery or a shift in thinking recently or
is this just a case of a wishfull
> Paleoauthor getting a little to keen (a situation I often find myself
falling into)

Eoraptor is Carnian (Late Triassic).  However, there are a couple known
Middle Triassic dinosaurs now (besides the ever contentious Avipes)-

undescribed herrerasaurid
Anisian, Middle Triassic
Moenkopi Formation, Arizona, US
Material- partial pubis
Reference- Nesbitt, 2001. New fossil vertebrate material from the Holbrook
Member, Moenkopi Formation (Middle Triassic) from Northern Arizona. JVP
21(3) 83A.

undescribed coelophysoid
Ladinian, Middle Triassic
Santa Maria Formation, Brazil
Material- three skulls (~300 mm), cranial fragments, postcrania including
femur (~180 mm), tibia (~140 mm) and tarsus
Comments- skulls are narrow, with very long antorbital fenestra; serrated
teeth; interdental plates; astragalocalcaneum fused; large and vertically
directed astragalar ascending process.
Reference- Ferigolo, J.; Ribeiro, A. M.; Raimundo-Silva, R.; & Cabreira, S.
The first Ceratosauria (?Coleophysoidea) Dinosaur from Santa Maria
Formation, Triassic of Rio Grande do Sul State, Brazil. In: JORNADAS
ARGENTINAS DE PALEONTOLOGIA DE VERTEBRADOS, 17. Esquel - Chubut. 2001.
Resumenes... Esquel - Chubut, p. 13.

Mickey Mortimer