Re: the chinese Mesozoic Aves tree

David Marjanovic wrote-

> Actually... what differences are there between *Eocathayornis* and
> *Eoenantiornis*? Sternum shape?

A difficult question considering the lack of faith I have in ABSRDist
reconstructions of Eoenantiornis.  Eocathayornis would appear to have a more
elongate coracoid, markedly more concave medial coracoid edge, capital
groove on the humerus, a proximally concave head, shorter deltopectoral
crest, more projected humeral dorsal condyle, shorter digit I compared to
mcII, broader phalanx II-1, broader phalanx II-2 (assuming Eoenantiornis' is
in the same view), smaller manual ungual II, and no phalanx III-1.  And
there's the most probably ontogenetic sternal differences.  But are the
other differences I listed due to poor illustrations by Hou et al., or
ontogeny as well?

>         I'm pretty sure that *Cuspirostrisornis* is an avisaurid or
closely
> related, and that *Sinornis* is a close relative of that group.

Because of which characters?

> >          |--Liaoningornis longidigitus
>
> Does look euornithine.

Came out in a polytomy with enantiornihines and ornithuromorphs in Clarke's
thesis.  I still say the sternum looks like Eoalulavis.

> > |--Shenzhouraptor sinensis
> > `--+--Omnivoropterygidae
> >    |  |--Jixiangornis orientalis
> >    |  `--Omnivoropteryx sinousaorum
>
> Slightly confusing...

And different now that I've added a few codings...
|--Yandangornis
`--+--+--Shenzhouraptor
   |  `--Jixiangornis
   `--+--+--Confuciusornis
      |  `--Changchengornis
      `--+--+--Sapeornis
         |  `--Omnivoropteryx

> >    `--+--Yandangornis longicaudus
> >       `--Pygostylia
> >          |--Confuciusornithiformes
> >          |  |--Sapeornis chaoyangensis
> >          |  `--Confuciusornithidae
> >          |     |--Confuciusornis spp.
> >          |     `--Changchengornis hengdaoziensis
>
> This is what left me so speechless that I forgot to reply. *Sapeornis*
next
> to Confuciusornithidae? How did this happen?

I'd love to tell you, but now Sapeornis is closer to ornithothoracines than
confuciusornithids are.  Potential synapomorphies I can imagine for my prior
arrangement are- elongate dorsal premaxillary process; C-shaped lacrimal;
toothless dentary; proximal humeral foramen.  Though only the first and
third are included in my analysis so far.

> >             `--+--Cuspirostrisornis houi
>
> A very basal position.

Due to its seemingly non-strut-like coracoid (by which I mean the distal
part of the lateral margin is not expanded laterally), robust radius, and
only the bases of the sternal posterolateral processes being attached to the
sternal body.  Could these be due to poor illustrations, crushing and/or
breakage?  Absolutely.  Which is why I've been pondering how misleading
including Hou's taxa of crap could be for my analysis...

> >                                  |--+--Liaoningornis longidigitus
> >                                  |  `--Songlingornis linghensis
>
> Similar to my analysis (62 characters). :-)

Apparently due to their relatively robust radii.

> >                                  `--+--Yixianornis grabaui
> >                                     `--+--Yanornis martini
> >                                        `--Ornithurae
>
> Why not *Y.* and *Y.* in each other's positions?

Yanornis and Ichthyornis both have more elongate wings.  It was a character
state meant to test if the very elongate wings of tailed post-Archaeopteryx
birds and omnivoropterygids would combine any of them together.  Longipteryx
also exhibits the condition.

Mickey Mortimer