new pterosaur named

>From Wednesday, October 15, 2003

A new pterosaur: Beipiaopterus chenianus, gen. et sp. nov. (Reptilia:
Pterosauria) from Western Liaoning Province of China
Jun-Chang LÜ

Memoir of the Fukui Prefectural Dinosaur Museum Number 2
http://www.dinosaur.pref.fukui.jp/archive/memoir/memoir002.html

all pdf files arrival

This missed my radar in October, but I just read the pdf (available on
the 'net).

In short we have a new ctenochasmatid with three wing phalanges (a
first!). 4.1 is about twice as long as in other ctenochasmatids, but
note the missing material at mid phalanx.

The paper also reassigns Chaoyangopterus from the Nyctosauridae to the
Pteranodontidae.

Any thoughts from the ptero guys on this?

It's a remarkable headless fossil with soft tissue, referred to as wing
membrane in this paper and one preceding it in 2002 by the same author.
The soft tissue doesn't have the classic wing membrane look though.

My cladogram dropped it just a notch or two off the Ctenochasmatidae,
close to "Ctenochasma" porocristata, which should probably now be called
Beipiaopterus cristata.

David Peters
St. Louis