Re: A "new" theory on Oviraptor philoceratops (I think)

Jonas Weselake-George (ee555@freenet.carleton.ca) wrote:

<Is it not true that most Oviraptors are a bit too big to be dedicated
well... oviraptors? In any case I think most large eggs would be
considerably easier to break open and an animal of that size could find
many different ways. Its an interesting take though!>

  This is a major consideration for the idea of a dedicated ovophagous
animal, but I would like to point out a research topic that my forthcoming
work on this subject use for supporting a diet of eggs: there are no
dedicated ovophages today, from the egg-eating snake to coatis, etc. All
physical attributes to egg eating are those related to crushing, but for
some reason, even when the snake in question, *Dasypeltis* spp., eats an
egg, it does so irregularly, and only seasonally, but possesses distinct
adaptations to egg eation, implying there was a driving force in its
evolution, even if the current product is not dedicated.

<Anyway, this is one strange animal, what else (other then eggs, molluscs
and marrow) could such a tooth apparatus be used for?>

  Would like to point out that these are bony prongs, likely encased in
keratinous material, and the term "tooth" is a misnomer.

=====
Jaime A. Headden