Re: A "new" theory on Oviraptor philoceratops (I think)

--- "Jaime A. Headden" <qilongia@yahoo.com> wrote:

> <Is it not true that most Oviraptors are a bit too big to be dedicated
> well... oviraptors? In any case I think most large eggs would be
> considerably easier to break open and an animal of that size could find
> many different ways. Its an interesting take though!>
>
>   This is a major consideration for the idea of a dedicated ovophagous
> animal, but I would like to point out a research topic that my forthcoming
> work on this subject use for supporting a diet of eggs: there are no
> dedicated ovophages today, from the egg-eating snake to coatis, etc. All
> physical attributes to egg eating are those related to crushing, but for
> some reason, even when the snake in question, *Dasypeltis* spp., eats an
> egg, it does so irregularly, and only seasonally, but possesses distinct
> adaptations to egg eation, implying there was a driving force in its
> evolution, even if the current product is not dedicated.

Interesting.

Just to play Devil's advocate, though -- couldn't it be argued that there were
greater quantites of large eggs present during the Mesozoic (the dominant
megafauna being oviparous dinosaurs, rather than viviparous therians)?

Even so, though, it's a good point that eggs would very likely only be
available seasonally.

=====
=====> T. Michael Keesey <http://dino.lm.com/contact>
=====> Instant Messenger <Ric Blayze>