Re: A "new" theory on Oviraptor philoceratops (I think)

"T. Michael Keesey" wrote:

> Just to play Devil's advocate, though -- couldn't it be argued that there were
> greater quantites of large eggs present during the Mesozoic (the dominant
> megafauna being oviparous dinosaurs, rather than viviparous therians)?

> Even so, though, it's a good point that eggs would very likely only be
> available seasonally.

Not necessarily. Seasonal variations are not as marked around the
equator. With arguably more egg-layers about, perhaps laying seasons
were staggered (much as tropical plants will bear fruit at different
times). I expect that modern birds don't all nest at exactly the same
time (especially around the equator).

Of course, the further you go from the equator, the more seasonal
conditions are, so the likelyhood of a short-lived glut of eggs,
followed by a lengthy famine, increases. Perhaps animals that were
largely (but not entirely) oviraptoric year-round are more likely to
have lived in equatorial zones?