From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu] On Behalf
Of Jane P. Davidson
Sent: Monday, December 15, 2003 10:41 AM
To: Danvarner@aol.com
Cc: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: RE: Dinosaur Planet

I have problems (as a non scientist, but an art person) with the quality
of animation.  I suppose that it is possible that some of the animals
had
locomotion such as was shown, but I find the sequences where animals are
moving to have a "jerky"  quality.  To me,  they begin to look like
computer generated animated items and the aritsts involved lose the
sense
of realism they are trying to convey when the animals begin to move.
Stop
motion models or single cell animations from our past, such as those of
Harryhausen or the Disney films such as Fastasia, convey to me a better
sense of realism in terms of movement.  Even if these early productions
did not have the posture or gait right, the animals "came alive" better.
Of course the whole business is relative.  We don't have complete data
on
coloration or vocalization or movements of animals which are extinct.
So thsat is my impression of D Planet.  I would be interested in hearing
what others think about this.  Jane D

Noli me rogare; hic ego solum laboro

People think of me; therefore I am.
   Jane P. Davidson Ph.D.  University of Nevada Reno

   jdhexen@aol.com

   fax 775-784-6655
   http://members.aol.com/Jdhexen/index.html
   http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Delphi/1536