Re: Dinosaur Planet

Danvarner@aol.com wrote:
> ...Is the feather headdress so common in theropod restorations getting
> cliched?

As far as I can tell, there are no adult theropods known with long
cranial 'feathers'. Only NGMC91 has some 'head fuzz', yet it was a
juvenile (it reminds me of the head fuzz on juvenile cheetahs). It may
have served to make the head look slightly bigger and rounder, hence
triggering parental instincts. After all, juvenile dinosaurs of many
species tend to exhibit the same 'cute' characteristics seen in birds
and mammals; proportionally larger rounder heads, with large eyes.
Juvenile snakes, lizards and turtles tend to be scale models of the
adults.

Of all those adult animals with integument preserved in the right
places, it tends to get shorter closer to the head. If these animals
were plunging their heads into carcasses, then this is what you'd
expect.

So not only are dramatic headdresses well and truly cliched - they are
probably wrong as well.