Re: Characters with ordered and unordered states

> I'm looking at characters in Xu et al.'s ceratopsian analysis from the
paper on Liaoceratops and I'm curious about if it's possible to have
character states within a character where some are ordered, but others
aren't and how this is done in PAUP. I know it has something to do with step
matrices and I've read the manual, but I'm really confused as on how to make
'em.

Isn't all that difficult. Here
http://paup.csit.fsu.edu/paupfaq/paupans.html#asymstp is what a stepmatrix
should look like. I can also send you my NEXUS file which includes working
stepmatrices.