Re: "Largest" dinosaurs...

Mickey Mortimer wrote:

Megaraptor Novas 1998
M. namunhuaiquii Novas 1998
Holotype- (MCF-PVPH 79) ulna (332 mm), phalanx I-1 (188 mm), distal
metatarsal III (~453 mm), pedal ungual II (310 mm)

Further material is known for _Megaraptor_, including nice forelimb material. It reveals that the "pedal ungual II" in the type material actually belongs to the first digit of the hand. The new material also nixes any idea that _Megaraptor_ might be a dromaeosaurid. I think it was Mickey who first mentioned the reference on this list:

Calvo, J.O., Porfiri, J., Veralli, C. and Novas, F. (2002). _Megaraptor namunhuaiquii_ (Novas, 1998), a new light about its phylogenetic relationships. Primer Congreso latinoamericano de Paleontología de
Vertebrados. Santiago de Chile, October 2002. p.20.

> Wasn't Ultrasaurus based on a single leg?

You may be thinking of _Ultrasaurus tabriensis_, which was based on an alleged ulna (actually, a partial humerus). The dimensions of this sauropod were overstated due to misinterpretation of the material.

No, most of that leg was hypothetical.  It was based on a dorsal vertebra
(belonging to Supersaurus) and a referred scapulocoracoid (belonging to
Brachiosaurus).

Yes, and thus _Ultrasaurus macintoshi_ is a junior synonym of _Supersaurus vivianae_. (I heard a rumor recently that there is a move to sink _S. vivianae_ into the genus _Barosaurus_ - is this true?)

(Tuscon Rock show) partial jaw (skull ~2500 mm)

2.5m!! Yikes!!!

Tim

Enjoy the holiday season with great tips from MSN. http://special.msn.com/network/happyholidays.armx