RE: DINOSAUR STATISTICS

From: Vladimír  Socha <Seismosaurus@seznam.cz>
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: DINOSAUR STATISTICS
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 17:32:01 +0100 (CET)

Good day to all!
I took the liberty of calculating some interesting statistics from George Olshevski's Genera list. This year was significant from at least two points. Firstly, in 2003 number of valid dinosaur genera exceeded 537 (552 as for 12/1/03). Tham makes more than 3 genera described each year from the first description in 1824 (3.084 genera/year). Also, this year most dinosaur genera were described-29! (or 27 if *Sphaerotolus* is a junior synonym and *Silesaurus* isn't actually dinosaur). Previous record was from 2001 (about 25 genera).

I've counted 26 new species (some new genera aren't new species, some new species aren't new genera), but I wasn't including the dinosaurs in JVP 22 (4). Does anyone know if this month's JVP will actually be out before the end of the year?

I thought it was interesting that as far as I know, not one Mesozoic avialan was named this year. It's been a while since you could say that!!

Also, does anyone know, how would this table continue?
Countries according to first dinosaur description:
1.) UK (Megalosaurus) 1824
2.) Germany (Plateosaurus) 1837
3.) France (*Poekilopleuron*) 1838
4.) USA (*Laelaps*=Dryptosaurus) 1839

*Laelaps* Cope wasn't named until 1866, ten years after the first American dinosaurs.

Add photos to your e-mail with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/photos&pgmarket=en-ca&RU=http%3a%2f%2fjoin.msn.com%2f%3fpage%3dmisc%2fspecialoffers%26pgmarket%3den-ca