Re: vampire ptero toe

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Peters" <davidrpeters@earthlink.net>
Sent: Sunday, December 14, 2003 5:05 AM

> For those of you who saw my presentation in St. Paul on the vampire
> pterosaur, Jeholopterus, I have one modification to make. Pedal digit V,
> although described as sharp and it appears sharp, is not sharp. I had it
> sliding under the skin of the victim to ensure perfect adhesion.

Which would hurt the victim, so that the pterosaur would risk being squished
against the next tree, IMHO.

> An ungual attached to its ventral side (dorsal while fully flexed) would
> have prevented surgical entry. I'm finding lots of pedal digit V unguals
> on primitive pterosaurs.

Interesting...

> Haven't noticed or heard anything yet to
> invalidate the vampire hypothesis.

I've read that several people who've seen your presentation (which I
haven't) simply can't see all those vampire-like features. With their
excessively long, narrow wings, anurognathids look more like swifts than
like vampires to me...