Re: DINOSAUR STATISTICS re: Silesaurus

Pete Buchholz (Tetanurae@aol.com) wrote:

  <>

  Some may want to note the new archosauriform from Czatcowie, Poland,
*Osmolskina*, which was described as a possible euparkeriid. In this
animal, and unlike nearly any other archosaurifom, the descending process
of the anterior nasal interfingers between the premaxilla and maxilla, and
the maxilla is almost identical with striated conical dentition, and
various shapes of the rami. The snout also appears to have the similar
sigmoid curvature of the jaw margin, and the ilium a vaguely dinosaurian
quality to it. The ilia of *Silesaurus* were compared favorably to
*Chinlesaurus,* which Dzik seems to have inferred has now become a
rauisuchian for some reason, a referrence I have yet to hear back on as
confirming, and which Dzik cites coming from papers which treat the form
as a dinosaur, not a crurotarsan. The ilia of *Osmolskina* also are very
similar to those of the basal sauropodomorphan *Thecodontosaurus,* and
other limb material, including an indicative femur (not illustrated) is
treated as being very similar to *Euparkeria*, though the description
would suggest, from what I've seen of *Euparkeria,* that its not that
different from other basal dinosauriforms, including *Silesaurus.* A full
description and illustration process of literally nearly a thousand bones
including almost 300 complete elements belonging to all parts of the
animal, is in prep, and this should be no un-eagerly awaited tome.

  I wonder, then, if anyone should like to try to run *Silesaurus* in a
matrix including many archosauriforms, and test by excluding dinosaurs as
a possible OTU?

=====
Jaime A. Headden