Re: Cranial crests in pterosaurs

>From what I've seen, and I'm sure you are well aware of soft tissue
extensions present on many crested pterosaurs (Tapejara, Germanodactylus,
Gnathosaurus) and that soft tissue extensions are possible on others
(Tupuxuara, Dsungaripterus) due to similar structures at the bases of these
hypothetical crests and courtesy of cladistics. The extent of the crests as
shown in Figure 10 is purely hypothetical in most cases but worthy of
further study. Perhaps a useful cautionary tale for future workers not to
destroy any funny-looking matrix north of the skull until the absence of a
crest is assured.

David Peters