Re: vampire ptero toe

David Marjanovic wrote

I've read that several people who've seen your presentation (which I
haven't) simply can't see all those vampire-like features.

(if you're referring to the SVP presentation). I made that announcement
during the talk, and I'm happy to accomodate anyone, even today. If
you're referring to those who have seen the actual skull, well, that
troubled  the original authors, too, who had it beneath their
microscopes.  They produced what amounted to a poor outline of a skull
blob.

Here's the problem: First, there is no roadmap to anurognathid skulls.
No one has yet published a good skull reconstruction of any anurognathid
skull IMHO. Anuro skulls are like bubbles held together with the
thinnest bone in all Pterosaurland.

Second, Jeholopterus is sufficiently different from the others to cause
confusion even if there was a good road map.

Third, it took me literally months to understand the skull by applying
tracing and coloring techniques using a computer to visually and
mentally separate the chaos of elements. I wouldn't expect anyone to
snap it up in the instant it was on the screen. This is only a first
step in understanding. And if someone comes up with a more precise
tracing and reconstruction, then we will have taken the second step, and
that's good science! Perhaps the detractors scoffed without giving the
animal it's due. <<<<<<

With their
excessively long, narrow wings, anurognathids look more like swifts than

like vampires to me...

are right, most anurognathids do have that swift look. First one feeds
on flying insects, then to insects larvae and crawling insects on the
wounds of large animals, then on the wounds themselves, and finally,
they make their own wounds.<<<<<<

David Peters