Re: Dinosaur Planet, parts 3 & 4

"Is there a modern example of an isolated member of a species being
"adopted" into a group of another species, such as happened with Pod and the
troodonts?  (Besides in domesticated animals, where you might have
situations like a dog being fostered by a cat or something...) It's a cute
plot twist, but would it be remotely possible?  I would think birds would be
the likely source of an example that applies to theropods... but I have
absolutely no idea.

-Andrea Kirk"

There was an example a couple of years back of a lion that lost it's cub and
adopted a baby gazelle, which it tried to raise. But they both ended up
shunned by the pride I think.
It's certainly happened in birds, I remember a duck living with a flock of
pigeons near my house when I was younger.
Or failing that there's always Tarzan...

David Craven
Bolton Museum

This e-mail and any attached files are confidential and may also be legally
privileged. They are intended solely for the intended addressee. If you are
not the addressee please e-mail it back to the sender and then immediately,
permanently delete it. Do not read, print, re-transmit, store or act in
reliance on it. This e-mail may be monitored by Bolton MBC in accordance
with current regulations.

This footnote also confirms that this e-mail message has been swept for the
presence of computer viruses currently known to the Council. However, the
recipient is responsible for virus-checking before opening this message and
any attachment.

Unless expressly stated to the contrary, any views expressed in this message
are those of the individual sender and may not necessarily reflect the views
of Bolton MBC.

http://www.bolton.gov.uk