Re: death pose

Very interesting.

I thought the standard explanation was meanwhile that, because it is adapted
to the presence of gravity, the epaxial musculature is stronger than the
hypaxial one, so that all sorts of drying and rigor mortis will lead to the
famous death pose?

Regarding baby sauropods... an important reason why I can't imagine the
hatchlings immediately leaving nest and parents is that not only can't they
run up trees, they can't run at all. They were just as graviportal as the
adults. I do think the juveniles left, because otherwise sauropods wouldn't
have laid so many eggs (indicating that they were r-strategists, as many
people have inferred), but only when they had reached a noticeably bigger
size.