RE: Status of Anasazisaurus, Naashoibitosaurus, Maleevosaurus and Saurophaganax

> From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
> Mike Taylor
>
> Dear HPs,
>
> I wonder if any anyone can comment on the current status of the
> following genera?
>
>       Anasazisaurus and Naashoibitosaurus (=? Kritosaurus)
>       Maleevosaurus (=? Tarbosaurus)
>       Saurophaganax (=? Allosaurus)
>
> Are these referrals generally accepted?  And does anyone have refs for
> the referals?

I won't speak for the hadrosaurids (although I buy them as Kritosaurus!),
but all recent work on tyrannosaurids includes Maleevosaurus as a juvenile
Tarbosaurus. The Saurophaganax situation has less agreement: some (e.g.,
Smith) consider it as A. maximus; others as a distinct taxon.  I can say
that the most complete description of this taxon is in press, so folks
should wait for the paper.  (Wow, it's been awhile since I wrote that!)

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist
                College Park, MD  20742
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~jmerck/eltsite