Re: Sauroparental care

You could indeed look for traces of mounds (I doubt sauropods burrowed, they
lack any of the morphological features of a burrower). However, a mound would
tell you nothing about parent care. Just the structure of the nest.
Ken

Kenneth Carpenter, Ph.D.
Curator of Lower Vertebrate Paleontology &
Chief Preparator
Dept. of Earth Sciences
Denver Museum of Natural History
2001 Colorado Blvd.
Denver, CO 80205

Phone: (303)370-6392
Fax: (303)331-6492
email: KCarpenter@DMNS.org

For fun:
 http://dino.lm.com/artists/display.php?name=Kcarpenter

>>> <zone65@bigpond.com> 21/Dec/03 >>>
Perhaps it can be tested, by looking for evidence of mounds or burrows
in known sauropod-inhabited areas.

In any event, I used the words "idea" and "possibility" to suggest
these things. Even if I had said "hypothesis", that is merely a
proposition. Had I lazily bandied about the word "theory", well, then
you would have had a point.

Peter Markmann
Canberra