RE: New Evidence Supports Global Methane Release 600 mya

>>Where did the methane come from? "It probably arose from deposits
>known as
>>methane hydrates," said Jiang. "Methane hydrates likely were
>widespread in
>>sediments deposited under very cold conditions and would have been
>>released as a gas at the end of this ice age, rapidly warming Earths
>>climate." ...

>Perhaps I'm missing some part of this; but dosn't this create a circular
argument?  If Methane hydrates were
>deposited because of very cold conditions, then presumably a warmer
condition is necessary to release them.  If the
>warmer condition is a result of Methane hydrates in the atmosphere, how did
they get released to form the warmer
>climate?, Or is it that the release just accelerated the process?

>Bill Hinchman

The end-Permian version of this had, if memory serves, a "natural" warming
after the methane hydrates were trapped. This released the methane, causing
an increased heating effect. The model in both cases assumes cold period
followed by warm period in a cyclic system.
The source of the methane in the methane hydrates has not yet been
discussed. A huge amount of organic matter is required to produce the
methane levels suggested.

Let's hope I remembered that correctly

David Craven
Bolton Museum

This e-mail and any attached files are confidential and may also be legally
privileged. They are intended solely for the intended addressee. If you are
not the addressee please e-mail it back to the sender and then immediately,
permanently delete it. Do not read, print, re-transmit, store or act in
reliance on it. This e-mail may be monitored by Bolton MBC in accordance
with current regulations.

This footnote also confirms that this e-mail message has been swept for the
presence of computer viruses currently known to the Council. However, the
recipient is responsible for virus-checking before opening this message and
any attachment.

Unless expressly stated to the contrary, any views expressed in this message
are those of the individual sender and may not necessarily reflect the views
of Bolton MBC.

http://www.bolton.gov.uk