Re: Sauroparental care

On Tuesday, December 23, 2003, at 03:14  AM, Ken Carpenter wrote:

Peter,
I don't quite know why you insist on posting your reply to the entire list since you are shooting yourself in the foot. I bring to the table, 30 years of dinosaur paleontology, 200 scientific publications, 7 books, including "Eggs, Nests and Baby Dinosaur." What do you bring to draw from?
Ken

A brain, as rudimentary as it might be. Just because I don't have your quals and expertise (in this field), doesn't mean I should be condescended to. Just because you've been doing something for three decades doesn't necessarily mean you're good at it - you may be, I don't know. I do hope your work is better than your manners.

I've never once implied anything like "I think it, therefore it must be." Nope - more like "I think it, therefore it might be." Perfectly valid philosophies have come from lay-people over the centuries.

You say in another message, "speculation... forms the basis for developing a hypothesis". That's all I've been doing. And yet you continue to make haughty and supercilious comments about my ideas - why is this?

Peter M

Kenneth Carpenter, Ph.D.
Curator of Lower Vertebrate Paleontology &
Chief Preparator
Dept. of Earth Sciences
Denver Museum of Natural History
2001 Colorado Blvd.
Denver, CO 80205

Phone: (303)370-6392
Fax: (303)331-6492
email: KCarpenter@DMNS.org

For fun:
 http://dino.lm.com/artists/display.php?name=Kcarpenter

<zone65@bigpond.com> 22/Dec/03 >>>
I wasn't getting personal - I have no idea who you are, so it's not
possible. Just defending my honestly-posited speculations, which you
attacked for no reason. You compared my thinking to that of
Creationists, remember? All I was doing was making some postulations
which you unreasonably took to be groundless theories. Who's sloppy? No
need for the paleo-than-thou insults.

How about reasoned repudiation of my crazy ideas rather than baseless
ridicule? Other folks have been very nice indeed, and informative too.

Cheer up!

Peter