RE: Sauroparental care

It's not unknown for animals to near-starve themselves when rearing young.
So this is not a given.

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard W. Travsky [mailto:rtravsky@uwyo.edu]
Sent: 23 December 2003 15:10
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Re: Sauroparental care

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003, Graydon wrote:
> [...]
>
> Straight R strategy, lay'em and leave'em.
> [...]
>
> Parental care has a cost.  This cost is not obviously, or always,
> lower than the cost of producing lots and lots of offspring. [...]
>
> A species would give up parental care if, as a matter of statistical
> averages, more offspring got into the future where they themselves
> survived to breed from more R-strategist parents than more
> K-strategist parents -- if the survival chances are even very
> marginally higher for producing 80 eggs and walking away instead of
> 50, and stepping on some of the offspring, say.

One thought that occurred to me is that, for sauropods at least, is that
creatures that size would need a great deal of food themselves. Would they
not strip the immediate area if they were hanging around to provide care?

> [...]

This e-mail and any attached files are confidential and may also be legally
privileged. They are intended solely for the intended addressee. If you are
not the addressee please e-mail it back to the sender and then immediately,
permanently delete it. Do not read, print, re-transmit, store or act in
reliance on it. This e-mail may be monitored by Bolton MBC in accordance
with current regulations.

This footnote also confirms that this e-mail message has been swept for the
presence of computer viruses currently known to the Council. However, the
recipient is responsible for virus-checking before opening this message and
any attachment.

Unless expressly stated to the contrary, any views expressed in this message
are those of the individual sender and may not necessarily reflect the views
of Bolton MBC.

http://www.bolton.gov.uk