RE: Sauroparental care

>>> From: Richard W. Travsky [mailto:rtravsky@uwyo.edu]
>>>
>>> One thought that occurred to me is that, for sauropods at least, is
>>> that creatures that size would need a great deal of food themselves.
>>> Would they not strip the immediate area if they were hanging around to
>>> provide care?

>>There's probably a great deal of niche partitioning going on between an
adult
>>sauropod and a hatchling -- the hatchling is much smaller, and
>>can't reach as high off the ground.   It's presumably nibbling on ferns,
>>while the parents are pushing over/denuding trees.

>>On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 03:04:29PM -0000, Craven, David scripsit:
>> It's not unknown for animals to near-starve themselves when rearing
>> young. So this is not a given.

>Q. Should I top reply?
>A. No

Yes, thank you. Caught myself on this as soon as I'd done it. It's a (bad)
habit.

This e-mail and any attached files are confidential and may also be legally
privileged. They are intended solely for the intended addressee. If you are
not the addressee please e-mail it back to the sender and then immediately,
permanently delete it. Do not read, print, re-transmit, store or act in
reliance on it. This e-mail may be monitored by Bolton MBC in accordance
with current regulations.

This footnote also confirms that this e-mail message has been swept for the
presence of computer viruses currently known to the Council. However, the
recipient is responsible for virus-checking before opening this message and
any attachment.

Unless expressly stated to the contrary, any views expressed in this message
are those of the individual sender and may not necessarily reflect the views
of Bolton MBC.

http://www.bolton.gov.uk