Re: So how intelligent were troodontids?

--- Dann Pigdon <dannj@alphalink.com.au> wrote

> Around ten years ago there was an article in one of
> the 'popular'
> scientific journals (Science? New Scientist?
> Sci.American?) about an
> orang in captivity that actually made flaked stone
> tools to cut string
> from around a cardboard box.

I posted references to three papers on orang tool use
in the  wild. For some reason it did not show up on
the list. May be it was banned because it was not
dinosaurian. Anyhow I have seen crows and ravens use
tools (independent evolution of tool use in
dinosauria?)

> even though I'm sure my brain structure is no
> different to those who
> have. :)

I agree that animal organs are over-engineered and
mammalian brains are no exception. Many of us do
rather mundane jobs that real do not require much
brain use :-)  However, despite a rather uniform
cerebral anatomy in humans we must accept the fact
that humans show vast variation within them in terms
of intelligence. Not everyone can make supercomputers
even if their brains outwardly look the same. There
may be subtle variations in the their dopamine
receptors, or adenylyl cyclases or whatever that may
cause a detectable intelligence differential.
_EA