Re: Sauropod eating habits

On Wednesday 24 Dec 2003 5:35 am, Phil Hore wrote:
> One thing I've noticed throughout this thread is how many people
> claim a sauropod would strip the land bare. Do we have any honest
> estimates of sauropod consumption? They're are not mammals after all
> and would possibly (this is a guess) eat about as much as an
> elephant. Elepants are very harsh on the landscape, and can actualy
> terra-form it, but they do live in a very harsh envirmoment.
>
> From everything I can see the Jurassic landscape was quiet lush
> (though a little hot) and would have provided plaenty off food.
> Extended feeding would indeed strip a land scape, but just how long
> would they be in the area? A month? A good sized forest would have no
> problems with a sauropod herd with an archosaurian diet.

Not all elephants live in harse environment. Most Asian elephants & all
African forest elephants (L.cyclotis - now a separate species) live in
lush rain forests. Though they influence the structure of the forest to
some minor extent, they certainly do not strip the forest bare. There
is no obvious reason to believe that sauropods would do anything
different to lush Jurassic forests.

--

Gautam Majumdar

Please send e-mails to gmajumdar@freeuk.com