Re: Refuting New Nostril Placement of Sauropods!

John Bridgman (timlee3005@earthlink.net) wrote:

<I did notice the slight hump at the top of the end of the snout on the
Diplodocus skull, but the best indicator of the nostrils being located at
the far end of a komodo dragon's snout is the deep indentations at the end
of the snout on it's skull.This feature is lacking in the Diplodocus
skull. This is the main reson I doubt the idea of sauropods having
nostrils so far down the end of their snouts.>

  Witmer notes that the rostral region of a diplodocid snout showed
regions of smooth, longitudinal (fore-aft) troughs that he links to
depressions for the anterior internal narial anatomy, though this feature
has little modern analogue and Witmer's work is admittedly a speculation
with very comfortable evidence to favor it. This might also be explained
by, more conformably with modern analogues perhaps, fleshy musculature,
but Witmer points to narial extensions because of the confluence of this
on some diplodocids along nearly the entire snout length. Food for thought.

=====
Jaime A. Headden