Varanus/ Diplodocus Bony Nares

On Friday, Dec. 26, Aspidel wrote:

<But maybe you didn't notice the low hump (lit in blue) on the top of
the
snout, which is very similar, although much lower, to the one of the
Komodo
monitor and that indicates IMHO the front extension of the fleshy nares
in
_Diplodocus_.>

It is similar, and it's true that a Komodo's bony nares are considerably
retracted caudally, but Diplodocus doesn't have the same dorsal concavities
dorso-rostrally that V. komodoensis has; In Diplodocus and Apatosaurus there
are
typically a set of more or less bilaterally symmetrical, V-shaped grooves
originating anterior to the bony nares and gradually radiating from a parallel
position as they go towards the premaxillae. There isn't anything to me like
the
massive, well-defined concavity anterior to the jutting nasal crest that you
see
on a macronarian like Brachiosaurus, which I think is a far better candidate
for anterior nares; I strongly disagree that diplodocoids had antero-rostrally
placed fleshy nares.  --Mark Hallett