Like a wool sweater in the washer...

Subject: The Shrinking of Chicxulub
From: "Terry W. Colvin" <fortean1@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 17:06:13 -0700
Science Frontiers, No. 151, Jan-Feb, 2004, p. 3
< http://www.science-frontiers.com >

GEOPHYSICS

The Shrinking of Chicxulub

In the previous issue of *Science Frontiers*, we learned that the
paleontological information derived from drill cores pulled from the
environs of Chicxulub crater beneath the Yucatan Peninsula cast doubt
on the still-accepted theory that the impact that made this crater
created the K/T (Cretaceous-Tertiary) boundary and the subsequent havoc
that led to the termination of the dinosaurs.

We now discover that the Chicxulub event was in any case not robust
enough for the task.

   Drilling results seem to negate earlier estimates of both
   crater size and the sequence of deposits of impact ejecta in
   various localities in Mexico.  This is also contradictory to
   the main killer at the K/T boundary.  Original estimates from
   satellite imagery and sound waves seemed to indicate a crater
   with a diameter 180 km and depth 10 km---big enough to produce
   a mass extinction event.  But closer examinations with on-site
   drilling revealed a smaller crater, 100 km diameter at most
   with layers hundreds of meters deep.  This would have been
   insufficient to produce catastrophic world-wide effects.  This
   merely complements our earlier notes about the large number of
   impact craters globally associated with the K/T boundary event
   at 65 Mya.

T. Van Flandern, the author of the above quote asserts that the K/T data
at hand are best explained by the exploded planet hypothesis.

(Van Flandern, Tom; "Chixulub Crater 'Shrinks', Now Too Small to Have
Caused Mass Extinctions," *Meta Research Bulletin*, 12:47, no. 3, 2003)

[Science Frontiers is a bimonthly collection of digests of scientific
anomalies in the current literature.  Published by the Sourcebook Project,
P.O. Box 107, Glen Arm, MD 21057.  Annual subscription: $8.00.