RE: Diminutive dinosaurs

From: Adam S Smith <sea_saur@yahoo.co.uk>
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Diminutive dinosaurs
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 16:04:35 +0000 (GMT)

Dear all,

As far as I know the smallest adult dinosaur remains
Compsognathus, with the baby Mussasaurus representing
the smallest dinosaur of any age (please correct me if
I'm wrong).

I don't know if that's possible but Microraptor was smaller at adult size then Compsognathus.

Is there any reason (biological/ecological or other)
why we should not expect there to have been tiny
dinosaurs, in which the adult size is far smaller than
the Compsognathus? Could dinosaurs exist in which the
adult would fit in the palm of your hand for example?
NB this is not a question about preservation
potential.
So, is it possible? The simple answer is probably "No,
because lizards and frogs etc. got there first" but I
am interested in the possibility.

Adam

Well I guess birds would certainly qualify for very small dinosaurs,but if there were mouse-sized non-avians? I don't know.

Hotmail en Messenger on the move http://www.msn.nl/communicatie/smsdiensten/hotmailsmsv2/