Re: Abelisaurus

Andrew McDonald wrote-

> Thanks to those who responded to my queries about Noasaurus.  I suppose
I'll
> wait for more to be published before I restore that animal.
> Next on my list is Abelisaurus.  I plan to use Carnotaurus as a model,
> except with the forelimbs.  I have read that Indosuchus is closer to
> Abelisaurus and appears to have had longer arms than Carnotaurus.  Could
> someone please tell me the measurements of Indosuchus' forelimb elements?

If you think this situation is any less complicated than the noasaurid one,
you're in for a surprise.  Carrano et al., who are working on the most
extensive phylogenetic analysis of ceratosaurs done to date (by a long
shot), had Indosuchus and Indosaurus (both known only from braincases) as
possible synonyms in their SVP presentation.  This, despite the fact
Indosuchus is generally thought of as more Abelisaurus-like, and Indosaurus
more Carnotaurus-like.  The two taxa have not been included in any
phylogenetic analyses yet, and I know of no characters that have been
suggested to place Indosuchus in the Abelisaurinae.  Chatterjee (1978)
referred some cranial remains to Indosuchus, but they are very similar to
Majungatholus, so may belong to a carnotaurine.  Chatterjee and Rudra (1996)
briefly noted and schematically illustrated a nearly complete skeleton they
referred to Indosuchus that comes from a different locality than the other
material mentioned above.  Whether this is really Indosuchus is unknown.
Regardless, I'll send you their illustration of the skeleton.

Mickey Mortimer