New Year's Coelurosaur Analysis Update

The new year is as good a time as any to post an update to my coelurosaur
analysis.  Since my last update in September
(http://www.cmnh.org/dinoarch/2003Sep/msg00164.html) there have been several
changes-
- 235 characters, including 39 forelimb characters and 12 pelvic characters.
Incidentally, this makes it larger than any published phylogenetic analysis
of Mesozoic coelurosaurs (Holtz's 2000 theropod analysis is still larger,
but it covers a wider range of taxa).  I'm at about the halfway point
character-wise, as I expect to have ~500 by the time I'm "done".  Mine
certainly includes more taxa than any other at the moment.
- 112 taxa, with Nqwebasaurus, Shenzhousaurus and Longirostravis added.
- Codings updated for Coelurus (Gishlick, 2002 unpub. thesis), Ornitholestes
(AMNH website), Beipiaosaurus (Xu et al., 2003), and various small changes
to many taxa.
- Itemirus, Megaraptor, Eoenantiornis, Liaoxiornis, GMV-2158 and GMV-2159
excluded, as the first is codable for so few characters, the second is not
part of the ingroup, and the others are young specimens that I feel harm the
bird topology with their simple sterna.  Also, I don't trust Eoenantiornis'
published figures much.
This is the 80% rule consensus of 200023 most parsimonious trees.

|--Monolophosaurus
`--+--+--+--Allosaurus
   |  |  `--Dryptosaurus
   |  `--+--+--Eotyrannus
   |     |  `--"Alashansaurus"
   |     `--+--Bagaraatan
   |        `--Tyrannosauridae
   `--+--Sinraptor
      `--+--Proceratosaurus
         `--+--Ornitholestes
            `--+--+--Nqwebasaurus
               |  `--+--Sinosauropteryx
               |     `--Compsognathus
               `--+--+--Coelurus
                  |  `--+--Scipionyx
                  |     `--YPM 1996 (Morrison enigmosaur)
                  `--+--Therizinosaurus
                     `--+--Arctometatarsalia
                        `--Maniraptora

Arctometatarsalia
|--Archaeornithoides
|--+--Patagonykus
|  `--+--Alvarezsaurus
|     `--Mononykinae
`--+--Pelecanimimus
   `--+--+--Harpymimus
      |  |--Shenzhousaurus
      |  `--Deinocheirus
      |--"Grusimimus"
      `--+--Ornithomimidae
         `--+--Garudimimus
            `--Archaeornithomimus

Maniraptora
|--+--+--+--Alxasaurus
|  |  |  `--Erliansaurus
|  |  `--+--Nothronychus
|  |     `--+--Beipiaosaurus
|  |        `--+--Erlikosaurus
|  |           `--Segnosaurus
|  `--+--+--Caudipteryx zoui
|     |  `--Caudipteryx sp. nov.
|     `--+--+--Nanshiungosaurus
|        |  `--Avimimus
|        `--+--Neimongosaurus
|           |--Incisivosaurus
|           |--Nomingia
|           `--+--Caenagnathidae
|              `--+--Microvenator
|                 `--Oviraptoridae
`--+--+--Sinovenator
   |  `--+--IGM 100/44 (Early Cretaceous troodontid)
   |     `--+--+--Sinornithoides
   |        |  `--Byronosaurus
   |        `--+--Saurornithoides junior
   |           `--+--Saurornithoides mongoliensis
   |              `--Troodon
   `--+--Pyroraptor
      `--+--Yixianosaurus
         `--+--Protarchaeopteryx
            `--+--+--Richardoestesia
               |  `--+--+--Sinornithosaurus
               |     |  `--NGMC 91 (Dave)
               |     `--+--Variraptor
               |        `--+--Bambiraptor
               |           `--+--IGM 100/1015 (Ukhaa Tolgod skull)
               |              `--+--Saurornitholestes
               |                 `--+--+--Dromaeosaurus
               |                    |  `--+--Deinonychus
               |                    |     `--Unenlagia
               |                    `--+--Velociraptor
               |                       `--+--Achillobator
               |                          `--Utahraptor
               `--+--Microraptor gui
                  `--+--+--Microraptor zhaoianus
                     |  `--Cryptovolans
                     `--+--Scansoriopterygidae
                        `--Aves

Aves
|--+--Archaeopteryx
|  `--Wellnhoferia
`--+--+--Rahonavis
   |  `--+--Yandangornis
   |     `--+--Shenzhouraptor
   |        `--Jixiangornis
   `--+--+--Sapeornis
      |  `--Omnivoropteryx
      `--+--+--Confuciusornis
         |  `--Changchengornis
         `--+--Jibeinia
            `--+--Longipteryx
               `--+--Protopteryx
                  `--+--+--Longchengornis
                     |  `--"Cathayornis" caudatus
                     `--+--Catalan nestling
                        `--+--Eocathayornis
                           `--+--+--Iberomesornis
                              |  |--Concornis
                              |  |--Largirostrornis
                              |  `--+--Sinornis
                              |     `--Longirostravis
                              `--+--+--Enantiornis
                                 |  |--Gobipteryx
                                 |  |--Boluochia
                                 |  |--Neuquenornis
                                 |  `--+--Noguerornis
                                 |     `--Cuspirostrisornis
                                 `--+--Eoalulavis
                                    `--+--+--Apsaravis
                                       |  `--Ambiortus
                                       `--+--+--Patagopteryx
                                          |  `--+--Liaoningornis
                                          |     `--Songlingornis
                                          `--+--Yixianornis
                                             `--+--Yanornis
                                                `--Ornithurae

Note a few positions of controversial taxa-
- "Alashansaurus" (now published in Glut 2003) and Bagaraatan are
tyrannosauroids.
- Monophyletic Compsognathidae with Sinosauropteryx and Nqwebasaurus.
- Archaeornithoides and alvarezsaurids are arctometatarsalians.
- Avimimus is an oviraptorosaur.
- Yixianosaurus and Protarchaeopteryx are basal paravians.
- Richardoestesia is a basal dromaeosaur.
- Scansoriopterygids are basal avialans.
- Omnivoropteryx is related to Sapeornis.
And a few unusual and sometimes probably incorrect (marked with *)
placements-
*- Tyrannosauroids are still carnosaurs.
*- Sinraptor is a coelurosaur.
- YPM 1996 is not an enigmosaur.
*- Therizinosaurus is not a segnosaur.
*- Beipiaosaurus is not the most basal segnosaur.
*- Neimongosaurus and Nanshiungosaurus are oviraptorosaurs.
- Pyroraptor is a basal paravian.
- Deinonychus is dromaeosaurine, while Utahraptor and Achillobator are
velociraptorines.
- Microraptor and Cryptovolans are basal avialans.
- Enantiornithines are paraphyletic.
*- Patagopteryx is closer to ornithurines than Apsaravis and Ambiortus.
But overall, I think it's coming along nicely.

Mickey Mortimer