Re: Therizinosauria or Segnosauria? (was RE: New Dino...)

In a message dated 1/31/03 9:12:58 PM EST, ratites637@hotmail.com writes:

<< Been in the Archives, okay.  Out of curiousity, if one were to define
 Segnosauria as a the same clade as Therizinosauria, then which name would
 have priority? >>

Segnosauria would have priority, but ICZN does not deal formally with taxa
above the family level, so it's a matter of popular acceptance. For example,
Goniopoda has priority over Theropoda, but nobody currently uses Goniopoda.
There hasn't been enough time since the coining of Segnosauria and
Therizinosauria to tell which is acceptable according to the
popular-acceptance criterion, so use the one you like best and thus cast your
popular-acceptance vote. I'm for Segnosauria, with Therizinosauroidea as an
included subfamily. I'm also for Coeluria over Coelurosauria by priority, but
that's an uphill battle.