Re: Screaming dromaeosaur biplane killers of the air

Waylon Rowley (whte_rbt_obj@yahoo.com) wrote:

<Interesting interpretation, but my question would be how the animal
hopped out of a tree and tucked its legs without completely screwing up
its glide path. For a moment there, as the legs are being retracted, the
feather array is facing forward, causing all sorts of drag. I see no way
around this.....unless they could fold.>

  I don't assume how this animal would have done it. Considerably, we're
not talking about sleek swimming tuna that need to keep their 35 knot
speed up. They are advanced to their locomotion. If gliding, and the leg
needed to maintain a sleek position while getting into the airm this might
be so. However, one can easily indicate that a jump into the air, with
extended legs, and the legs producing drag, would still allow the animal
to tuck its legs during a drop, creating a "canard-like" airfoil or
plate-like fan of feathers, and able to decrease drag for the more
controlled descent. If it glided. If it flew, same thing. Folding leg
feathers are unnecessary, but the evidence doesn't tell us one way or
another.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden