Re: New Dinosauricon Taxon Pages: _Therizinosauria_

Nick Pharris (npharris@umich.edu) wrote:

<Yes, I realize this is the idea.  I also realize it's a BAD idea, and a
completely unnecessary one.>

  Some of it is my idea, or at least I am using some practical info and
suggestions and putting them together. But that's not the point. Why is
this a "bad" idea, or unnecessary? One would think it removes some
subjectivity in species referral and the problems of ranks (no "genus");
it is perpetuating the myth of the rank by retaining special status of a
"genus" or even referal of it. In out gross subjective minds, the best
finite line we can make in fossils is autapomorphies; if all species,
including hybrid species, are uniquely identified, then this removes the
problems of to which taxon a "species" is referrable, or the subjectivity
of hybrid referral given two unique species (whatever the definition) ...
they are all unique, no matter one's ancestry or shared ancestry.

  Luc Bailly (aspidel@wanadoo.be) brought up similar secundae nomina
(actual Latin, nomina secundae, for purists; the singular for "first name"
is nominus primus, but I'm trying to be consistent) in such taxa, and
where I had brought up earlier similarities in *Velociraptor* and
*Adasaurus*, the names are wholly unique to one another, and it would only
be a problem if _both_ parts of the name were synonymous. However,
*Saurornithoides junior* would require a unique name to separate it from
*Saurornithoides mongoliensis* (aside from the fact that its only reason
for referral to *S.* is its presence in Mongolia); problems with
troodontid taxonomy are numerous and varied, aside from the meaning of
"genus" and "species," or the validity or reality of ranks, or their use
in structures. Basic logic would imply that a thing that has no identity,
or definition, does not exist. If a "genus" has no meaning beyond any
other clade that can be defined, then why treat it separately? If it is
different from a species, then what is it, and what's the difference?

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden