Re: Screaming dromaeosaur biplane killers of the air

Jaime Headden wrote-

> <And as Ornithothoraces is a node-based clade defined using Iberomesornis
> and neornithines, "basal ornithothoracines" with laterally grooved
> furculae (eg. Protopteryx and Longipteryx) are not ornithothoracines at
> all.>
>
>   Never said they were. Don't think I even brought those taxa up. As for
> *Boluochia*, thanks for the clarification, but I was under the impression
> that a furcula was present. Not that I trust his figures, but Hou (1997)
> shows a bowed element near the distal pubis that may be one, but I have
> not seen photos of this specimen either. Not yet, anyway. My attempt at
> inclusion of *Boluochia* was to indicate the radiation of ornithurines,
> which show a remarkable generalization of the furcular form with very
> little variation (*Gastornis* is an example of variation).

You said "enantiornithines, *Boluchia*, and basal ornithothoracines".  There
are no Mesozoic ornithuromorphs with laterally grooved furculae, and
enantiornithines are the other branch of Ornithothoraces.  Do you think
Iberomesornis is basal to the enantiornithine-euornithine split, thus
allowing non-enantiornithine, non-euornithine ornithothoracines to exist?
The element in question is indeed confusing.  Even if it were a furcula
however, the cross section is not apparent from available figures, there is
no visible hypocleidium, and the shaft is more curved than expected from an
enantiornithine-grade bird.

Mickey Mortimer