Re: Screaming dromaeosaur biplane killers of the air

Mickey Mortimer (Mickey_Mortimer111@msn.com) wrote:

<You said "enantiornithines, *Boluchia*, and basal ornithothoracines".>

  And not once in this statement did I imply anything more than a series
of taxa. There was no continuity here, except the difference in furcular
form from that of *Archaeopteryx* and *Confuciousornis*. The relative
skeletal anatomy suggests parsimoniously that the furcula of *Boluochia*
would also be dissimilar, and its inclusion was not to imply the furcular
morphology, but as a taxon that I was sure was not enantiornithin, but
otherwise within more advanced-tailed and -winged birds. Nothing more. My
claim was on the form of the ramus and the attenuation towards the
symphysis with long hypocleidium. This has not changed.

<There are no Mesozoic ornithuromorphs with laterally grooved furculae,>

  The caudolateral longitudinal groove of the furcula in some of these
forms is itself irrelevent, and may only be a consequence of the C- or
L-shaped ramal cross-section being turned on its axis.

<Do you think Iberomesornis is basal to the enantiornithine-euornithine
split, thus allowing non-enantiornithine, non-euornithine
ornithothoracines to exist?>

  I didn't mention *Iberomesornis*. and I also sorta agree with de
Quierozx and Gauthier that, since the taxon was named in partial support
of the trunk anatomy, tyhat a single taxon should not be considered the
anchor, especially not *Iberomesornis*. Hell, I don't think
*Iberomesornis* should be the anchor of anything but Iberomesornithidae if
and only if another taxon is closer to it than other birds.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden