Re: Screaming dromaeosaur biplane killers of the air

Jaime Headden wrote-

> <You said "enantiornithines, *Boluchia*, and basal ornithothoracines".>
>
>   And not once in this statement did I imply anything more than a series
> of taxa. There was no continuity here, except the difference in furcular
> form from that of *Archaeopteryx* and *Confuciousornis*. The relative
> skeletal anatomy suggests parsimoniously that the furcula of *Boluochia*
> would also be dissimilar, and its inclusion was not to imply the furcular
> morphology, but as a taxon that I was sure was not enantiornithin, but
> otherwise within more advanced-tailed and -winged birds. Nothing more. My
> claim was on the form of the ramus and the attenuation towards the
> symphysis with long hypocleidium. This has not changed.

So you were just being redundant.  Check.
Why don't you think Boluochia is an enantiornithine?

> <There are no Mesozoic ornithuromorphs with laterally grooved furculae,>
>
>   The caudolateral longitudinal groove of the furcula in some of these
> forms is itself irrelevent, and may only be a consequence of the C- or
> L-shaped ramal cross-section being turned on its axis.

The groove was one of the characters you mentioned these "basal
ornithothoracines" had, so is not irelevent to the discussion.  Of course,
the C/L shaped cross section is formed by the groove.

> <Do you think Iberomesornis is basal to the enantiornithine-euornithine
> split, thus allowing non-enantiornithine, non-euornithine
> ornithothoracines to exist?>
>
>   I didn't mention *Iberomesornis*. and I also sorta agree with de
> Quierozx and Gauthier that, since the taxon was named in partial support
> of the trunk anatomy, tyhat a single taxon should not be considered the
> anchor, especially not *Iberomesornis*. Hell, I don't think
> *Iberomesornis* should be the anchor of anything but Iberomesornithidae if
> and only if another taxon is closer to it than other birds.

But Iberomesornis is integral to the composition of Ornithothoraces that you
support.  Iberomesornis is actually one of the best known enantiornithines,
especially now that Sereno (2000) described it in so much detail.

Mickey Mortimer