Re: Screaming dromaeosaur biplane killers of the air

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jaime A. Headden" <qilongia@yahoo.com>
Sent: Saturday, February 01, 2003 3:16 AM

Thanks a lot for the clarifications!

>   I believe the condition in early tetrapods and cynodonts, as in
> ornithomimosaurs, have been shown to be outgrowths from the caudal margin
> of the rib.

Cynodonts? Ornithomimosaurs?

> <<[A]s the asymmetry favor the narrow vane towards the foot -->>
>
> <Whatever that exactly means, if the preserved positions are real, then
> the narrow vanes are distal to the rhaches*, again as reconstructed.>
>
> Distal to the rachis? This would include both vanes. My phrase was to show
> that, in a diagram:
>
>  ______________________________  . leading edge
> /________________________________  . rachis
> \
>  \______________________________ . trailing edge
>
>   that "asymmetry favor the narrow vane towards the foot" would show that
> the narrow vane faced towards the digits of the pes, or the "foot."

That's what I meant, distal being towards the toes, not the feather tips.

> <As also described above, the leg-wings and "buttfans" serve aerodynamic
> function when the leg is tucked, not extended.>

Not that I cared, but I didn't write that.

> <<[P]ro-urvögeln.>>
>
> <The n is too much. Vögeln is a verb... a rare verb that, without a
> logical etymology, describes vertical gene transfer. :-] Sorry: The n is
> correct in the dative ("to the birds").>
>
>   My knowledge was that -n was a plural modifier. Is this Vögels?

It is just Vögel, the singular being Vogel. -n is a plural ending (like -en
and -e and -er, variously coupled with Umlaute; -s exists but... not
everywhere), but you can't put it on every noun. There are no rules left,
when you learn German, you have to learn the plural for every noun by
itself. Like gender, but with more possibilities. For example... Maus/Mäuse
(mouse/mice), Laus/Läuse (louse/lice), Haus/Häus_er_ (house/houses). I once
found a webpage by a German linguist who tried to find out if there ever had
been rules (like there are in Latin) and had very little success. :-)
        Actually, ONE rule exists. It says why Vögel is enough and doesn't
get an n in addition (in written German...): because it's masculine. :-)