----- Original Message -----
From: "Jaime A. Headden" <qilongia@yahoo.com>
Sent: Sunday, February 02, 2003 4:53 PM

>   Nominus exists, [...]
> The singular genetive "nominus" (neuter)

Ah, now I see: you copied a typo for "nominis" from somewhere. :-) -us does
not exist.

> and though nominus and primus not together,

nominis primi = {the first name}'s

> Notably, the dictionaries I have support praenomen
> for "first name", and nothing for the second.

A Roman citizen had praenomen, nomen, cognomen, e. g. Gaius Iulius Caesar. I
don't know if it's a good idea to use this as an analogy for species names,
however.

> In keeping with earlier structures (as I said) nomen and
> the adjective prima are used.

But the latter adapted to the gender of nomen -- as primum.

> would work in apposition to "primo"

That's not a nominative either (nomen is).

> "Primus" is given in Lewis and Short as a noun,

It's an adjective. "The one in front, the first, the beginning one, the
best", says my dictionary.

> and "primus nominus" is possible in this manner,
> but I may be kidding myself.

~:-| You are. :-)