Re: Screaming dromaeosaur biplane killers of the air

<Cynodonts? Ornithomimosaurs?>

  In some advanced cynodonts, such as the morganucodontids, the caudal
margin of the rib is expanded into a rectangular flange that laterally
overlays the cranial half of the suceeding rib. This has been shown to be
ontogenetic outgrowths as part of the morganucodontid species complex has
been resolved. In ornithomimosaurs, the flanges are smaller, but the ribs
are also more spaced, as the vertebrae are relatively longer, and the
flanges are rounded rather than quadrilateral or angular. They occur in
the anterior ribs for the most part, and similar broadening of the ribs
are seen in some large theropods, especially tyrannosaurs, but without the
flanges and occuring rather in the cervicodorsal transition series; in
ornithomimosaurs, the ribs are similar in this region, yet more slender.

I had written:

<<that "asymmetry favor the narrow vane towards the foot" would show that
the narrow vane faced towards the digits of the pes, or the "foot.">>

and David clarified:

<That's what I meant, distal being towards the toes, not the feather
tips.>

  I feel the need to correct myself: when I wrote "faced towards the
digits of the pes" I am trying to say "faced in the same direction as the
digits of the pes are pointed", rather than implying "faced towards the
digits of the pes, so that they lay on a parallel to digits themselves."
This is presuming a fixed feather position, lacking evidence to the
contrary, though ample suggestion that they could have fanned to some
degree.

<Not that I cared, but I didn't write that.>

  No, I did. But I didn't "double quote" the passage.

  Thanks for the clarification on Vogel....

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden