Re: Screaming dromaeosaur biplane killers of the air

Mickey Mortimer (Mickey_Mortimer111@msn.com) wrote:

<So you were just being redundant.  Check.>

  Ha ha. Very funny.

<Why don't you think Boluochia is an enantiornithine?>

  I don't think it's anything. It does not appear to be an enant (and
neither does *Iberomesornis*, but this does not mean it can't. I clearly
stated I had assumed for the sake of the argument that the morphology of
*Boluochia* represents a non-enant, non-ornithothoracine (I should have
used non-ornithurine, but I hate this set of birds ... I like the basal
pygostylians, myself, much better as relating to the evolution of the
avian flight structure).

<The groove was one of the characters you mentioned these "basal
ornithothoracines" had, so is not irelevent to the discussion. Of course,
the C/L shaped cross section is formed by the groove.>

  The position of the groove, not the nature of the groove, is irrelevant.
I have more than one clause per sentence. Relative aspect of the
cross-section is formed by aspect of the groove to the ramus in three
dimensions. The caudolateral groove in some furculae versus the only
caudal groove, or the slightly caudomedial orientation in earlier birds,
is an issue separate from the issue I was bringing up, which are once
again, and lest I make myself "digi-hoarse," the cranial aspect of the
ramus and its relation to the hypocleidium. The issues I was bringing up
did not relate to the caudal groove except on a separate discussion, which
was conflated with this, and had almost entirely to do with bringing up
*Boluochia*. I had brought up the other features before then and
separately.

<But Iberomesornis is integral to the composition of Ornithothoraces that
you support.  Iberomesornis is actually one of the best known
enantiornithines, especially now that Sereno (2000) described it in so
much detail.>

  The statement should be that Sereno has presented a lot of data that
supports *Iberomesornis* as a basal enantiornithine, but both Chiappe and
Sanz have detailed some parts of the discussion of avian evolution in
regards to *Iberomesornis* as having features of enantiornithines, and
higher birds, leading them to suspect two alternate phylogenies, which I
consider to be demonstrative of a little more doubt than "is actually one
of the best known enantiornithines"; these phylogenies have
*Iberomesornis* as either basal to the enant/ornithurine and as the basal
ornithothoracine (thout by definition, it would be the sister group to the
Ornithothoraces).

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden