----- Original Message -----
From: "T. Michael Keesey" <mightyodinn@yahoo.com>
Sent: Monday, February 03, 2003 10:29 PM

> But, you see, the citation *is* part of the (full) name!

Alternatively, one could use the registration number or a clade address
(assuming *Velociraptor* will be defined as a clade, nothing will be wrong
with *Velociraptor mongoliensis* then, or with */Velociraptor/mongoliensis*
or whatever the format will be). Probably we'll end up with the registration
number and/or author & year being cited once per paper and clade addresses
being used then...

> _mongoliensis_ Osborn 1924 (typus _Velociraptor_)
> _mongoliensis_ Osborn 1924 (typus _Saurornithoides_)
>
> Thereafter in the text they could be abbreviated as _S. mongoliensis_ and
_V.
> mongoliensis_.
>
> If they had not been type species you could use "ref." instead of "typus".
> Imaginary example (since I can't think of a real one at the moment):
> _virginianus_ Author 1900 (ref. _Alphacladus_)
> _virginianus_ Author 1900 (ref. _Betacladus_)
>
> And if the second one had been subsequently referred elsewhere (say,
> _Gammacladus_), that would be mentioned, and it could then be abbreviated
as
> _G. virginianus_.

Good ideas for species that will not (already) have been converted (and
therefore won't have a registration number), if their relationships are
unclear (and thus a clade address likely to lead to confusion).