RE: New Dinosauricon Taxon Pages: _Therizinosauria_

Mike Keesey (mightyodinn@yahoo.com) wrote:

<It doesn't have to accompany it. Each species has a unique name and may
be referred to alone. Each taxon (clade or species) may be prefaced by one
or more taxa which include them, either by hypothesis (subjective) or by
definition (objective), but these lists do not constitute single names.>

<_rex_ Osborn 1905 (1 full species name)

 _rex_ (1 abbreviated species name; can be used after full version is
cited if there are no species with homonymous abbrevations)>

  Is this not an abbreviated address, rather than the abbreviated
"species" name? The name "rex" is the species, or part thereof, and
applying the authorship with an integer flies in the face of a "species"
name, which intends to describe the organism, not who described it, when,
and in relation to what.

<names like _Megalosaurus wetherilli_ will be possible.>

  Only if species revert to the _original_ "genus" they were referred to
as. It could as easily be "Tabularasa wetherilliorum." I don't think
original "generic" reference validates any future reference. One would
think, unless synonymous, a distinction of any species or "genus" should
be considered different from any other. The very spirit of recognition of
different species. Unless all taxa are *Rutella* as the first praenomen
(not a genus yet, there were none). *Biota* would then be a junior
objective synonym, as would all other taxa. No need to define separate
names.

<That "commentary" (the citation) is part of the full name.>

  How so? Its part of the citation, as is the name. Citation = name,
author, date. Sequence of dating may also be added relative to another,
but the name, as most would agree I think, consists only of the
appellation of Latin, Greek, or otherwise recognizable "code" language for
the species as historically recognized. The citation is, as most journals
show and some recognize, included at the first mention of the name, and
then not used successively except during taxonomic discussion. Referring
to the citation as the name is rather pointless, as I see the structure.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden