Re: New refs (long) cont. (short)

At 10:43 AM 04/02/03 -0600, Tim Williams wrote:
DinoBoyGraphics@aol.com wrote:

Surely you aren't referring to the amount of morphological diversity? It far exceeds that of dinosaurs. There are no brachiating dinosaurs, no cetacean analogs, no sea
otter analogs.

The downy young of the hoatzin comes pretty close to a brachiator, as do parrots that use their bills as a climbing assist (if you alow the bill to be an alternative for the forelimbs). Giant Cenozoic penguins may very well have been small whale analogues; their extinction has been linked to the rise of true cetaceans (and the metriorhynchid crocodiles may have been analogues for the smaller archaeocete whales). As for sea otters - well, there is really only one species of sea otter; the marine otter of South America is not as thoroughly adapted to life at sea, and any number of coastal diving seabirds could be considered to be analogous to it.

Not to mention dinos we haven't found yet....

--
Ronald I. Orenstein Phone: (905) 820-7886
1825 Shady Creek Court