RE: New Dinosauricon Taxon Pages: _Therizinosauria_

Quoting "T. Michael Keesey" <mightyodinn@yahoo.com>:

> But species are not always guaranteed to stay in "their" genera (this case
> aside). Non-type species move about all the time, which is good because it
> can
> reflect the latest thinking, but is bad for trying to achieve stability with
> "genus + species" combinations.

So don't try to make them stable.  The binomen can simply be the lowest two
clades to which a given species belongs (OK, I'd want a redundant clade in
there for species with no close relatives).

I don't think there's any point in trying to make the species the unique
identifier, when from the beginning species names were never meant to be
unique.

Nick Pharris
Department of Linguistics
University of Michigan