From: <MariusRomanus@aol.com>
To: <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Thursday, February 06, 2003 4:05 PM
Subject: Book Question and a Movie

> Not dinosaur related.... But, just out of curiosity, do any of ya know a
good book out there that I can get my hands on that deals with creodonts?
I'm looking for really good photos and such of skeletons and etc.

> I seem to have gotten myself on a kick dealing with these nasties because
of a movie that was out last year called "Brotherhood of the Wolf"... You
might get a kick out of watching that movie. It's been on DVD for some time
now. In the theaters it was subtitled, but the DVD is dubbed in English.
(It's a French film). I'm surprised that the dubbing is as good as it is.
Usually they are awful.

> Anyway, the movie is a spin on a series of strange animal attacks that
took place in the 1700's in the French contryside. You can still find the
documentation on the insidents. Pretty freakie if you ask me. Basically, the
movie takes on hell of an interesting plot in which a hunter who traveled to
Africa came across a "strange beast" and brought it back to France. There,
it had cubs, the strongest one of which he kept, training it to be a brutal
killer. In time, it is unleashed on the French countryside. You'll have to
watch the movie to find out why. It's a neat and pretty complex plot.

> They never come out and say what the Beast is. But, when you see it, those
who know a bit about prehistoric mammals are going to immediately recognize
what it is. (Looks like a Haeyenodon to me. Andrewsarchus was much bigger
than this thing. http://www.bbc.co.uk/beasts/evidence/prog3/page6.shtml)
Lions and Tigers and Bears... Who cares. They can't hold a candle to
creodonts. Real beasts of nightmares, let me tell you.

> Personally, I loved the idea of the movie. It has a nice romantic feel to
it. Animals have the habit of surviving late, especially predators. As long
as they can still obtain food and avoid becoming wiped out via disease, they
usually hang on, even if it is only by a thread. Hey, the way I look at it,
the Romans saw animals that are no longer here (some of which they
exterminated personally due to their games), and you just know that during
the 1700s, these British, French, Spanish, etc, Naturalists that were
running around all over the world collecting as many specimens as they
possibly could, also came across things which were on their way out at the
time. So, you never know.