Re: Cladism is not an inkblot

Quoting "Jonathan R. Wagner" <jonathan.r.wagner@mail.utexas.edu>:

>     Molecular data can be analyzed using maximum likelihod, distance
> techniques, and Bayesian methods.Until recently, parsimony was the only
> commonly accepted, reproduceable method for analyzing morphological data in
> a phylogenetic framework (strictly, it is an optimality criterion, not an
> analytical method). So, "any other method" in your statement above needs to
> be clarified. I simply don't know what alternative you are offering for
> test.

One of my profs has been using a technique known as "clique analysis" to
determine the phylogeny of Chinese dialects.  In this method, as he's
explained it, the favored tree is the one congruent with the distributions of
the greatest number of characters.  Is anyone on the list familiar with this
method, and can anyone give me a critique?

Nick Pharris
Department of Linguistics
University of Michigan