Re: Mickey's Coelurosaur Analysis Update

Mickey Mortimer wrote-
I couldn't find the characters you refer to that link Ornitholestes and
oviraptorosaurs, though Jaime seems to not support this relationship
anymore.  Where were they listed?

These do not necessarily support a relationship between the two, but there are similarities between the shape of the lacrimal and the strongly pedant paroccipital processes have been noted in Incisivosaurus (and possibly other oviraptorosaurs) and Ornitholestes (J. Headden,onlist). The pectoral girdle and ilium of Ornitholestes has been described as oviraptorosaur like. I'm not sure what features are present though to describe it as such. I've never seen any figures of Ornitholestes in order to compare it to anything. I can't find a list of specific characters, which is odd.

Refer to- http://www.cmnh.org/dinoarch/1998Jun/msg00024.html http://www.cmnh.org/dinoarch/2001Jul/msg00595.html http://www.cmnh.org/dinoarch/2002Sep/msg00445.html

   |  `--+--Bambiraptor
   |     `--Sinornithosaurus

Reminds me of- http://www.cmnh.org/dinoarch/2000Apr/msg00417.html

         `--+--+--Patagonykus
            |  `--+--Alvarezsaurus
            |     `--+--Mononykinae
            |        `--+--Pelecanimimus
            |           `--Harpymimus

It's interesting how many have often suggested H. wasn't ornithomimosaur, but I bet they weren't expecting this! I don't find the presence of P. here too suprising considering the analysis has only cranial characters so far.

            `--+--Troodontidae (same topology)
               `--+--Rahonavis
                  `--+--Archaeopteryx
                     `--Microraptor

Alvarezsaurids and troodontids are successive sistergroups to Aves. Sounds familiar...

Nick Gardner