Re: Mickey's Coelurosaur Analysis Update

Nick Gardner wrote-

> These do not necessarily support a relationship between the two, but there
> are similarities between the shape of the lacrimal and the strongly pedant
> paroccipital processes have been noted in Incisivosaurus (and possibly
other
> oviraptorosaurs) and Ornitholestes (J. Headden,onlist).  The pectoral
girdle
> and ilium of Ornitholestes has been described as oviraptorosaur like.  I'm
> not sure what features are present though to describe it as such.  I've
> never seen any figures of Ornitholestes in order to compare it to
anything.
> I can't find a list of specific characters, which is odd.

Clark et al. (2002) code Ornitholestes as lacking pendent paroccipital
processes, so I've done the same.
I'm unaware of any figure or photo which shows the condition (including the
AMNH online photo), so I don't know how Jaime got his information.
I suppose its lacrimal does resemble Incisivosaurus', but cannot find any
synapomorphic characters to express this resemblence.
The pectoral girdle of Ornitholestes is unknown, so terming it
oviraptorosaur-like is hypothetical at best.
The pelvis shares plesiomorphic characters with oviraptorosaurs that were
lost in other maniraptoran lineages, but I'm unaware of any derived
similarities.
I've redefined nasofrontal ratios-
Nasal (anterior tip to middle suture point) divided by frontal (middle
suture point to posterior tip) <135%.
Ornitholestes shows the plesiomorphic state, while enigmosaurs show the
apomorphic one.
The dentary of Ornitholestes is actually not decurved (Rauhut, 2000; AMNH
online), contra Paul's reconstructions.  So this character cannot be used to
unite it with oviraptorosaurs.

> >          `--+--+--Patagonykus
> >             |  `--+--Alvarezsaurus
> >             |     `--+--Mononykinae
> >             |        `--+--Pelecanimimus
> >             |           `--Harpymimus
>
> It's interesting how many have often suggested H. wasn't ornithomimosaur,
> but I bet they weren't expecting this!  I don't find the presence of P.
here
> too suprising considering the analysis has only cranial characters so far.

And axial characters.  Eleven axial characters were coded for Pelecanimimus.

Mickey Mortimer